What is the Sports Premium?
The government provides additional funding to improve provision of physical education and sport in Primary Schools.
This funding provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools.
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but have the freedom to choose how they do this. Below is an overview of how we have decided to use this funding previous academic years.
Purpose of the funding:
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Uses of the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE – this has already been a success with coaching specialists Nocturn Dance
- New or additional sport clubs provided by MNR coaching and school staff
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport – our new PE Lead is already qualified to coach swimming
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games – This year will see Lambourn CofE School participate in inter-school West Berks competition and we are also affiliated to the Newbury District Football League
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or material for PE/sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and residential visits
Sport is key to unlocking further potential in every child’s learning.